King Vs California King – Buy the Right Mattress Size
If you are someone who needs their space while sleeping, chances are that you might have come across a king size mattress and California king size mattress. While the age-old king vs California king mattress debate is still alive, it is not surprising for people to make wrong assumptions, hence, decisions while mattress shopping.
Lucky for you, we at Nectar know a thing or two about king as well as cal king mattresses. PS. we home deliver these mattresses too!
Follow this guide to understand the difference between these two mattresses, which one fits your needs better and how it will suit your room as well as your lifestyle. Let’s dive right in!
King Vs California King
Better width for co-sleeping
Not so good with mobility
Great for tall people
Accessories are hard to find
Are you looking for other mattress sizes? Check out out mattress size dimension guide.
Understanding King Mattress
The king mattress, also known as the eastern king mattress has dimensions quite similar to a queen size mattress but surpasses it beyond doubt when it comes to the width. A standard king mattress measures a whopping 80” x 76”.
This mattress is great for two sleepers but in case families, can comfortably accommodate young children who like to snuggle a while with their parents before going to bed. A master room with 13 by 13 feet dimension can be considered ideal for this mattress with no compromise on the space.
Though it can fit in a lower dimension of 12 by 10 feet, you must consider its expansive region of 6,080 inches before you do that.
Pros of a King Mattress
- Wide open spaces for those who love a luxurious sleep.
- Can accommodate two sleepers easily and in case of families, children can join comfortably for a snuggle as well.
- Great for sexually active couples who need the space and ease of movement without restricting themselves.
- If you are a restless sleeper or someone suffering from arthritis (or similar disease), you need movement all through the night. A king size mattress provides you sufficient space to change your position without the fear of falling over the edge of the bed.
- A king-sized mattress negates impact on your pressure points of the body, thanks to its expansive nature.
- King sized mattresses complement any type of room design as long as it fits in comfortably.
If you have your heart set on a King Size Mattress, you might want to see what Nectar King Size mattress has to offer.
Cons of a King Mattress
- The larger than life king mattress has a larger than life price tag as well. A king mattress, owing to its size and build tends to be on the expensive spectrum, not affordable by many.
- Again, due to its size and build, a king mattress is heavy and hard to move. If you are someone who tends to shift homes a lot, this might not be the ideal choice.
- You have to ensure that your room is bigger than the standard size since the king mattress needs more space to fit in.
- A king mattress has a nice width but it might prove to be insufficient in length for tall people.
- Understanding California King Mattress
- King mattress’ cousin from the west, the California King Mattress is tall, and regal but kind of falls behind when it comes to the width. If we were talking about humans, then the ‘Western King’ would be the ideal eye candy.
However, a comparatively narrow mattress can often lead to space inconsistencies that can often lead to intermittent sleep especially for those who are heavy bodied.
However, owing to its length, the California King mattress is the first choice for NBA players (no shocker there!) and is often customised to suit their bodily requirements. Moreover, this mattress is also a great option for standard height couples who like to snuggle or stay still during the course of their sleep without taking up the entire space.
Pros of Cal King Mattress
- An ideal choice for tall couples or a pair with at least one tall partner. With extra 4 inches in length, there is ample space for a tall person to sleep comfortably without their feet hanging.
- If we are to talk about aesthetics, the Cal King Mattress is truly the monarch. Instead of sticking out like a sore thumb in the room, this mattress easily blends in and also heightens the look and feel of the entire room.
- Adults can easily accommodate a small child or a pet on their Cal King Mattress.
- They can also be a good choice for dorm rooms as many students tend to be exceptionally tall and often end up compromising on their sleep due to the standard size mattresses.
A California King Mattress is the epitome of luxury. Check out the Nectar Cal King Mattress for your home.
Cons of Cal King Mattress
- The magnanimous size is aesthetically pleasing but demands a back-breaking effort to move. It is heavy and almost impossible to move without an extra (two) pair of hands.
- Another downside of this mattress is the lack of availability of the complementing bed accessories. Since it is a huge mattress with not a really large consumer base, finding accessories for it is a difficult task.
- Even if you are able to get your hands on some accessories, your choices are pretty limited and chances are, you might not like either of them.
What Factors Should You Consider While Buying a Mattress?
Here are some factors to consider before you go mattress shopping:
When it comes to King Vs California King Mattress, room size is of the essence. Too small a room cannot accommodate either of these large mattresses.
While it is pretty easy to get accessories for a King mattress, things are not simple when it comes to a King Cal mattress, thanks to its extra long dimension and select consumers (read NBA players).
Since the King mattress has an advantage in width over length, this mattress will be more comfortable to users with standard height but in need of extra space to spread out. On the other hand, a Cal King mattress is longer (4 inches extra) but slightly narrow in comparison to King mattress. It is more likely to be comfortable for really tall people who either sleep or sleep with their partner but do not exactly spread out as much.
Bigger beds tend to be better at motion isolation than smaller beds. The King and Cal King mattress have the potential to absorb motions and can help you. However, due to its extra width, King mattress has an added advantage.
Does King Accessories Fit Cal King Bed?
Nope! A King mattress is 80” x 76” while a Cal King mattress is 84” x 72”. There is a clear difference between the length of these beds and any accessory reserved for a King mattress will fall short of covering the extra 4 inches of the Cal King mattress.
Are you getting rid of your old mattress? You may want to explore responsible mattress disposal methods.
Related Articles on Mattress Sizes
- To read more about the California King Bed Dimensions, click here.
- Would an adjustable mattress be the perfect fit?
- Ever wondered what the difference between Twin and Twin XL is?
- What is a full size mattress? Is this what you need?
- Will a king size mattress fit your room well? Is it right for you?
- Do you want to explore a split king mattress?
- Or, are you looking for the differences between a King and a Queen Mattress?
- Would you like to read more about a Queen mattress?
- What are twin bed dimensions? Is a twin bed what is missing in your home?