Would you be able to call out these myths as lies? Test yourself!
1. Being able to fall asleep “anytime, anywhere” is a sign of a healthy sleep system.
2. Many adults need only 5 or less of sleep for general health.
3. Your brain and body can learn to function just as well with less sleep.
4. Adults sleep more as they get older.
5. More sleep is always better.
6. One night of sleep deprivation will have lasting negative health consequences.
7. In terms of your health, it does not matter what time of day you sleep.
8. Lying in bed with your eyes closed is almost as good as sleeping.
9. If you have difficulty falling asleep, it is best to stay in bed and try to fall back to sleep.
10. Although annoying for bed partners, loud snoring is mostly harmless.
11. A sound sleeper rarely moves at night.
12. Hitting the snooze button is better than getting up when the alarm first goes off.
13. If you’re having difficulties sleeping, taking a nap in the afternoon is a good way to get adequate sleep.
14. Alcohol before bed will improve your sleep.
15. It’s better to have a warmer bedroom for sleeping than a cooler bedroom.
16. Boredom can make you sleepy even if you get adequate sleep.
17. Watching television in bed is a good way to relax before sleep.
18. Exercising within 4 hours of bedtime will disturb your sleep.
19. The brain is not active during sleep.
20. Remembering your dreams is a sign of a goodnight’s sleep.